The Southern Cross : February 2010
Page 24 February 2010 The Southern Cross www.adelaide.catholic.org.au news Mary MacKillop College Principal Mr Pat Terminello 10 High Street Kensington p 8333 6300 f 8364 3863 firstname.lastname@example.org www.marymackillop.sa.edu.au A Place of Welcome and Learning Enrolling now for 2011 & beyond OPEN DAY Sunday 28th Feb.1pm -- 3pm The history of St John the Evangelist Church at Laura has been recorded in a book launched at the church's recent anniversary celebrations. The Church upon the Hill by local parishioner Paul Slattery covers the history of St John's from the building of the original church in the 1870s and includes the parish priests and families who have made up the congregation over the years. More than 140 people gathered on Sunday December 6 to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the opening of the "new church" in 1929. The Mass, concelebrated by Bishop Greg O'Kelly SJ and Parish Priest Monsignor Don Victory, was attended by past and present parishioners of St John's, visitors from other towns, and a wide section of the Laura community. Both the Lutheran and Anglican congregations cancelled their services so they could attend the Mass. The altar server, Trish Slattery of Quorn, was the sixth generation of her family to worship at St John's. Other old Laura families represented at the celebration were the Kennedy, Higgins, Lynch, McConnachy and McInerney Families. Bishop O'Kelly remembered the people who built the present church, and also the families who built the original church in 1873. He recalled the pioneering work of the early Jesuit priests, notably Fr Aloysius Kranewitter SJ, who was the first priest to work in this region; and Fr John Pallhuber SJ who apart from being the first priest to be based at nearby Georgetown, was responsible for the building of the first St John's. Bishop Greg also mentioned that the tabernacle in the present church and a picture of the Sacred Heart which hangs in the sacristy were both brought out from Austria by the Jesuits in the early 1870's. • Those who wish to purchase a copy of "The Church upon the Hill" are invited to send a money order or cheque for $22.65 (which covers book and postage) to Paul Slattery, PO Box 24 Laura SA 5480. Church upon the hill Significant developments and leadership elections were the main focus of a four day chapter of the Adelaide Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy. Sister Nerida Tinkler, leader of the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea, attended the chapter which takes place every five years. Spokesperson Sister Teresa Flaherty said the delegates formed the highest decision- making body with the task of determining future directions, based on ministries in which the Sisters were engaged and those emerging from contemporary needs. "Although the number of Sisters is much smaller these days, many are engaged in various ministries of education, health, pastoral work and social welfare, addressing local, national and international concerns," Sr Teresa said. "An essential dimension of the Sisters' work today is involvement in the form of active partnerships with lay people in the church and society." The new leader and councillors elected at the Chapter were Helen Owens (Leader), Janet Lowe (Vicar), Lyn Beck, Ilsa Neicinieks and Margaret Adams (Councillors). The outgoing team comprised Sister Meredith Evans (Leader), Rosemary Day (Vicar), Janet Lowe, Pat Feehan and Tran Thi Nien (Councillors). The Chapter was historic in that it is likely to be the last one held in the name of the Sisters of Mercy of the Adelaide Congregation. The Sisters of Mercy throughout Australia and Papua New Guinea are in a process of negotiation about moving towards closer bonds of unity. The outcome of this democratic process will not become evident until the National Chapter of the Institute to be held in September 2010. Future directions discussed HAPPY ANNIVERSARY: The congregation celebrates 80 years of history at the Laura Church.